Saturday, July 23, 2016

Whatever Happened To The Mohole Project?

In reviewing my last post, I was reminded of what should logically have provoked my curiosity sufficiently to have led me to a point of faith, years earlier than I was actually led. But, as a typical teenager, I steadfastly ignored any consideration that God might actually exist, and that the Bible's account of Him might actually be true.

I distinctly remember having read one of the more popular magazines, perhaps it was "Time Magazine", or "Newsweek", or some such. But, the story I read was about a scientific project called, "Mohole". It was developed by various well-reputed scientists to bore a hole through the earth's surface, starting from the ocean at a depth of thousands of feet, to the earth's crust, to recover core samples that would reveal information about the earth's age, and makeup of soil at various depths, etc.

It proceeded well, for a time, then it was eventually cancelled, abruptly, amid charges of being too expensive, by Congress. But, I distinctly remember having read that the scientists had bored to a certain depth, when they heard the sound of Human screams through their drilling rig! Naturally, as a mindless, apathetic teenager, I was somewhat interested, and promptly "forgot" about it all. But, now years later, I find that God has not allowed me to completely forget about this.

However, a "GOOGLE" search of listings for the "Mohole Project" returns much written about the project, yet I (surprise, surprise...) can find nothing about the "hearing of screams" that I distinctly remember reading. Did this really happen, or was the article's writer just having "fun" with his readers. I don't know.

But, as a believing Christian, today, I find it believable that empirical "scientists" could actually have drilled deep enough to hear the screams of those trapped in Hell, and been unwilling to admit the overwhelming truth of it, because it proved something they didn't want to deal with. I wonder if that actually happened, or not. But, I can assure you all that I did indeed read that. Whether the writer was telling the truth, or not, I can't say. I merely thank God that I out-grew my teenage apathy, and found Jesus, in spite of myself, anyway!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment