Wednesday, November 7, 2018

The Takeaway From The 2018 Mid-Term Elections

So, the Democrats managed to steal back control of the House of Representatives, of Congress.  I guess that makes Nancy Pelosi a prophet, since she predicted the victory, beforehand.  More importantly, perhaps I should admit that my call for all Christian readers to apply the challenge of II Chronicles: 7,  14 (which says, "If My People, which are called by My Name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek My Face, and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from Heaven, and forgive their sin, and heal their land.")  was not effective enough to win both sides of the aisle, in Congress.   Perhaps non-believers might think so, but not me!

First, I am not so vain as to think that all American Christians have read my blog's plea, though I am sure that many Christians realized the same urgency, whether they read my blog, or not!

 Second, I don't presume to be smart enough to always figure out how God chooses to answer our prayers.  It may be that giving control of the House to the Democrats was just the first step in unifying our country, though it certainly doesn't appear so!  But, God has a way of turning what seems to be failure into victory, if we will simply persevere by faith!  The concept of  repenting of our own wickedness (or sinfulness, especially habitual sinfulness), must not be briefly done, in the hopes of "conjuring up" God's blessing, before returning to our previous ways.  Perhaps God is watching to see if we are really serious, or do we get easily discouraged, and give up on Him, which will cause Him to give up on our blessing.

And, thirdly, perhaps He has given us an opportunity to prove our willingness to demonstrate our humility, not only to Him, but also to our enemies (the Democrats, in case you haven't figured it out), by crossing the aisle to compromise on some trivial issues, that may surprise them, after two years of proving their unwillingness  to do so for us!  Soon they will realize that cooperating with the Republicans may help them get re-elected, in 2020.  It's certainly cheaper than donating 70 million dollars in a losing bid to unseat a Senator from Texas!!!

This may take some powerful biting of our collective tongues, and swallowing of our collective pride, which is horribly painful to bear!   It may help to keep in mind our primary goal, which is the re-unifying of our deeply divided country (as in, "A house divided can not stand.")  If we had  simply won back control of the House, how would that have reunified the country?  I don't think the Democrats would try compromising with the Republicans.  (I can recall when my 11th grade trigonometry teacher rebuked me for something I didn't do!  He was a crotchety old cuss, and had a reputation for bearing grudges for long times!  I needed a good grade in that class for my college prep, so I swallowed my pride and went up to him after class, and apologized for whatever I didn't do!   He graciously accepted my apology, and later gave me a "B" for the class, which was pretty forgiving, for him!)

I'm sure the surprised Democrats will not initially respond to our willingness to compromise!  But, eventually, some will (like Manchin, of West Virginia, who is a popular Democrat, in a state that has turned Republican recently).   At first, some maverick Democrats will cross over, and then some of the more moderate Democrats,  and eventually we will have a truly compromising House, as it has traditionally been.  Who knows, we might even get some Democrats to repent of their sins, and become Republicans!!!  I think God has performed similar miracles before, though this would surely rank up there  with the parting of the Red Sea!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment