Wednesday, November 21, 2018

A Thanksgiving Reflection

Every year at this time, I tend to wax reflective about things, and the Thanksgiving buildup makes me think of my ancestry.   Believe it, or not, I have read accounts of my family being able to trace our ancestry back to the original Pilgrim settlers, of the Plymouth colony.  I say this humbly, because they were considered in their time to be nothing more than rebel-rousing criminals, and my direct ancestor was briefly fleeing imminent arrest, for the high crime of printing the Gospel, for distribution throughout Britain.

My family is able to trace our lineage back to William Brewster, who was the elected Lay preacher of  the colony, for several years, as their real preacher had elected to remain behind with those of his congregation who had chosen to remain behind, in Holland, where they had originally fled to, in order to escape the execution-threats of the British King.

I don't presume to claim any inheritance of his preaching ability, which I assume to have been at least credible, since he served in that capacity for so long.  But, I don't doubt that my faith in Jesus as my Lord and Savior was directly attributed to him and his descendants, who must have prayed for us all, with varying degrees of obvious success.  I suspect we may have had our share of irreligious scoundrels within our lineage, of which I was well on my way of becoming, myself, before God got my attention!  Thank God there is room for even me in heaven!!!  The apostle Paul considered himself to have been the, "chiefest of sinners", so I guess I can fit right in with him, and the like.

I said that I don't presume to compare what I do with that of Elder Brewster, as he was called back then.   He preached to a desperate, and courageous congregation, while I merely vent my spleen (the title of one of my former posts) about the sinful politics of this corrupt, humanistic country, and the evil world in which we presently reside!  Occasionally, I do wax a little preachy, but nothing that would resound well from a pulpit!  So, I have nothing but admiration for my ancestors, those that I am aware of, and those of whom I remain ignorant.

So, to all of you, and your ancestors, and future descendants, I wish you all a, "Happy Thanksgiving"!!!

UPDATE:  11/22/2018--

A few years ago, I was very disappointed to hear that apparently our public school children were being taught that the reason for the original Thanksgiving celebration was so the pilgrims could thank the local Indians, for their bountiful harvest, after nearly starving the previous year.  While I'm sure they were very grateful for the help they received in learning how to properly plant their crops (reputedly from their Indian friend, Squanto), the true recipient of their thankfulness was God, who not only blessed their harvest, but sent them Squanto, to help them; as well as providing a place for them to locate their colony.  It seems that the real reason they had no quarrel with the local Indian tribes was because the tribe that had originally occupied their choice of land had been wiped-out the previous year, by a terrible plague (probably Measles, likely acquired from the English fishermen who worked the Grand Banks reef, just off the coast of what was to become Massachusetts, and extending up to Labrador, Canada.  The English would have built up a resistance to this disease, but the Indians had none, and were wiped-out because of it.)  Therefore no one had a prior claim to the land, in the view of the other local Indians, so there was no objection to the Pilgrims.  As for the celebration, the Indians were uninvited party-crashers, though they later sent out hunting parties, which brought back enough venison to extend the feast several days!!!

This inaccuracy was offensive enough, because their teachers should have known better, and were apparently choosing to teach a lie.  Worse, the textbooks they were using apparently told the same lie!

Now, I hear that some grossly irresponsible College, in Oregon, whose irrelevant name I didn't catch, has been teaching that the Pilgrims are responsible for creating a genocide upon the Indians, who were wiped out a year before the Pilgrims even arrived!   They are trying to make their students believe that we should consider Thanksgiving to be a time of mourning, for the poor oppressed Indians!!!  There seems to be no end to the Academic, and Public schools' attempts to not only remove God from the classroom, but to blame Him for every problem known to mankind.  This sounds like the influence of God's greatest enemy;  Gee...I wonder who that could be?  So, I guess the public school system, and much of Academia, is given over to this same Diabolical influence!!!  More reason for my opinion that the Department of Education should be dissolved, and the power of dictating our schools' curriculum should be returned to the states, and let them decide if they want our children taught to worship God, or the Devil!!!  (I can guess which the west  coast states would choose!)

UPDATE  II:  11/26/2018--

Well, at least the Russians have apparently given up on disguising the source of their pageviews, not that it makes much difference!   Today, I found another triple-digit increase in daily pageviews, and I haven't written anything about them in 4 days.  But, this time they're located from Russia, so whatever they've been doing to make it seem that they originated from other countries, is perhaps too tedious, considering that it fooled no one!  Perhaps they've tired of trying to fool me about their unusual interest.  I don't know why they should care, beyond the fact that someone believes they are about to fulfill a 2500 year-old prophecy!  I'm sure there are plenty of like-minded Christians that have drawn the same conclusion from their study of the Bible, they just don't write about it in a blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment