Monday, November 13, 2017

Selective Outrage For Political Convenience

I am very concerned over the allegations of sexual misconduct attributed to the Alabama Republican candidate for the Senate seat of Attorney General Jeff Sessions.  But not for the same reasons as his critics.

I recognize that I have no way of knowing who is telling the truth here, and I am deeply distrustful of  the Establishment Republicans who have come out calling for Roy Moore to voluntarily step aside, because the accusations seem to make him unfit to serve in that bastion of morality, the U.S. Senate!  I remember when, in younger years. I was driving a taxi cab in the Washington, D.C. area, and I picked up the Maitre D, of an exclusive restaurant near Capitol Hill, and as I drove him to his job, he recounted the exploits of the late Senator, Ted Kennedy, and how he had been discovered having a sexual tryst in an unused banquet hall, during lunch break, from his Congressional duties.

Yessir... between his, and Bill Clinton's exploits (or should I say "sexploits?) , Washington politics has a long-standing reputation of high standards of moral conduct, you betcha!!!  And, as I stated previously, I can live with Trump's filthy reputation, as long as he behaves himself in office!  That's better than F.D.R.,  while he was  in office, considering his reputed philandering with his secretary ... and then there was J.F.K., and the Marylin Monroe stories!  By comparison, if Roy Moore is guilty as charged he should fit in well with his predecessors, considering the charges are all from a time of 40 years ago.

But, the fact that these charges came out only when he seems to be the clear favorite to win the election in Alabama, and only when there is less than a month to go (which leaves little time to investigate the validity of the charges),  it all smacks of the slanderous charges of sexual harassment that were brought against Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, when it appeared almost certain that he would be confirmed by the Senate.  Liberals (and I include the so-called Establishment Republicans in this term) seem to feel  that slander is an effective counter-measure when they can't stop an election victory, or an appointment of someone considered to be an ideological opponent.  That being the case, it effectively weakens the reliability of their purported moral outrage, and tends to make their charges suspect, especially since most of the critics are considered to be Establishment Republicans (and their ideological leader, Mitch McConnell, is on record for previously stating something to the effect that he didn't want Moore to win, because he didn't want another unruly conservative in the Senate). 

This whole thing seems to boil down to questionable charges being brought against someone who doesn't fit the mold of the Establishment Republicans in the Senate, who are responsible for the failure of the Republicans to vote much of Trump's agenda into law.  I am willing to live with Roy Moore's Senate victory, as long as he behaves himself in office, guilty as charged, or not!

What I would prefer, is for McConnell to be replaced by a conservative Republican, in the 2018 election, if he is running, and all those of his ilk!!!

UPDATE--- (11/15/2017):

I opened the above Post with the caveat that I admit there is no way that I can definitely prove which side of the Moore sex scandal is telling the truth, and which side is lying.   But, I must admit that Judge Moore offered what seems to me to be rather damning evidence, though certainly circumstantial, at best, when he said in an interview on Sean Hannity's show, on FOX NEWS, in answer to the question by Hannity, "Have you ever dated a minor?".   His answer was a rather confusing quip of, "Not generally, no."  That sounds like a Christian trying hard to deceive another Christian, and God causes him to put his "foot in his mouth"!!!

As someone who, admittedly, wants to believe in his innocence, if for no other reason than the blatant vitrol of the Establishment Republicans is tantamount to conviction, simply because they don't like him,  I would love to see them defeated in their efforts to "crucify" him in the court of public opinion!  I don't hate them at all, but I surely hate what they're doing, in defaming his character, not because they have any way of knowing his guilt, or innocence, any more than any of us; but simply because they find the scandal convenient to their desire to be rid of another conservative Senator.

At this point, I must throw up my hands, and leave it up to the Lord to work it all out for the best.  If Judge Moore is guilty, I'm confident  that God will cause him to be defeated.  But I am also confident that He will repay those evil, self-serving, and slanderous Establishment Republicans, and the obstructive Democrats, for their evil ways, come the 2018 Congressional election!!!  Whether Judge Moore is guilty, or innocent!

No comments:

Post a Comment